Loading Custom Maps
TIMaps are all Garmin Custom Maps in .kmz format. Here is how you load (install) a TIMap on your Garmin GPS if it's one of the GPS on this list.
- When you're in Maps, right click on the map link and save the map (.kmz) file to a place on your computer where you can find it again, e.g., desktop. Some map series may have several maps. Save each individual map separately.
- Connect your GPS device to your computer using the USB cable.
- Wait until the GPS starts up and your computer recognizes it as a USB device (or maybe two USB devices if you have an SD memory card installed in your GPS). The GPS will appear on your computer like a USB memory drive (or two USB memory drives).
- Navigate to the (device)/Garmin/CustomMaps folder on either the GPS or the SD card. If the CustomMaps folder does not exist under (device)/Garmin, then create the CustomMaps folder there.
- Copy the .kmz map file(s) that you downloaded in step 1 into the CustomMaps folder.
- Eject the GPS from your computer as you would a USB memory drive and then disconnect the USB cable.
- When you turn on your GPS and navigate to the area of the Custom Map, you should see the map on the screen. Depending on the scale of the map, it may not appear until you zoom in a bit.